Thứ Bảy, 22 tháng 10, 2011

My experience with Kinect

've decided to make a blog about my thoughts, impressions and hands-on with Microsoft's motion-controlled attempt, Kinect.

Also, before you start reading, I just want to point some things out:

- I've played 4 games. (roughly 10 minutes each)
- Not sure if the games are in their final builds.
- Kids were going crazy all over it!

Right, here we go!

-[Introduction]-

Microsoft's Xbox Kinect. Microsoft's answer to motion controlled gaming and their attempt to get into the whole motion market alongside the Wii and Playstation Move.

When it was first announced, I was quite curious. I had many questions in my mind:

- Will the device work?
- Will it have good games?
- Will it be cheap?

Now shifting straight to E3 2010 and Microsoft's abysmal press conference, I was starting to lose interest in the device. Fanboys from one camp are bashing it to oblivion while another is defending it with all their might.

Later on, they've announced the $150 pricetag, which was a turnoff for quite a hefty amount of games. They thought it would be a huge waste of money. It's gonna have casual games and nothing more. It's gonna bomb.
Leaving that aside, I said to myself: I'm gonna have to try this for myself before I hand down my verdict on this controversial device.

-[Gitex Shopper 2010]-

For the last 3 years, I've always wanted to go to Dubai just for Gitex. Due to some complications involving school or my dad busy with work, it delayed my dream, until last week.

So we skip to the 21st of October and realize that I'm in Dubai and I checked out the Gitex Technology Week 2010 event that was being held there. Electronics, gadgets and anything IT related EVERYWHERE!
Checked out some laptops. One of them was 3D enabled and let you use any standard passive-shutter 3D glasses (RealD glasses that you get in the cinemas for example). Glasses-less 3D screens (which work pretty well, but seem a bit blurry) and many other crazy shenanigans.

But anyway, that's not today's subject. I'm here to talk about...

-[Kinect: Eyes-on impression]-

So there it was, a sleek bar with a stand that sat on a table next to an Xbox 360. I was watching some kids playing some games. It looked fun, and I thought: How bad could it be?

But then, the ugly truth met me face to face...

-[TEH LAGZ!]-

For those who are still in denial, Kinect has an obvious half a second lag, and it's f*cking everywhere. It's in your games. It's in your menu navigation and to me, it was the ultimate turnoff.
I don't know if they're going to fix this issue before launch, but for now, it's f*cking horrible.
A short while later, it was my turn to play some Kinect games. I have played 4 games and here's what I think of each one of them:

-[Kinect Joy Ride]-

It wasn't too bad, but the lag just kills it for me. The cars are always accelerating, so all you have to do is steer, boost and occasionally, do stunts while in mid-air. Seems easy, but the crappy steering (thanks to the lag) kinda ruins the experience for gamers, but I'm pretty sure children wouldn't give two ducks about it and just have a blast!
In all honesty, I'd prefer this game if it was as it was back in 2009. A free racing game that uses a controller to play.

-[Kinect Adventures]-

I played this one with some guy who was standing in line with me at that time. The only stage we were able to play was the River Raft stage. Playing with a friend is pretty fun. You and your partner are gonna have to be coordinated for a good and fun experience.
Once again, like Joy Ride, there is lag, but you'll only notice it when you jump. While it doesn't really kill the experience, it can be a nuisance to see your avatar jump half a second after you do.

-[Kinect Sports]-

*sigh*.....Rare......f*ck you....

Now, I'm only saying this because they've decided it was a good idea to have Samsung logos and T-mobile bowling balls in the game. Now I don't really mind in-game advertisements, but come on Rare!
Anyway, the only sport I've played was Table Tennis (just to compare with what I've played on Sports Champions and Wii Sports Resort). It's pretty lackluster. It's not like you're moving your paddle. It's like your body is strapped right onto the Avatar. It feels and looks really crappy. Even the Miis playing Table Tennis look more decent than what the robotic puppets known as Avatars look like. They always glitch up and sh*t and it's just bleh. Gameplay wise, it makes Wii Sports Resort and Sports Champions 50 generations ahead of its time!

I've also seen some kid play bowling. It looked okay, but it seems that it was made to be noob-friendly since the kid was going ape sh*t and throwing strikes all the time! (and keep in mind that the kid was like 4 or 5?)
Also saw some kids play the 100m sprint. All I can say is that it's just running...while you're standing still.

While the lag may not be that significant like the other 2 games, it's still there and it's hard to ignore.

-[Kinectimals]-

........I dunno what I was thinking when I was pla.......SKITTLES!!!!!!
I'm kidding. It wasn't Skittles, but it was some Cheetah that I decided to call Derp...in my mind. Anyway, after the bizarre and awkward air stroking, it was time to play some ball!
Rules are simple. Throw the ball at your......Kinectimal.....and it'll hit it back. You must keep this up for 20 seconds to win. Simple, right?

All I can say is that, it was the most hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life period. Responsiveness was craptastic. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, it decides that it doesn't want to work!
Now, the lady working there told me that it could be because the sensor is overheating.....

-[Overheating]-

I kid you not. That's what she told me!

-[Conclusion]-

While Kinect may be a great peripheral to buy for the kids because they are gonna have a f*cking blast, gamers may want to back up on this one for now. If you're curious and you're thinking about getting one for yourself, I would recommend doing that when the price drops, more games are available and they fix that horribly God forsaken lag!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét